Monday, October 24, 2011
Pennsylvania Murder Mystery
Tips and Secrets to Host Your very own Murder Mystery
Each year here at the Harvest Moon Bed & Breakfast as the Holidays come around we begin to plan for our New Years Eve Murder Mystery . A Lancaster County Favorite. Lots of elements are involved as we begin our evening of mystery and intrigue. To begin with, it helps to have an old home with lots of history. From there, it is all easy to put together the rest...
And always, always go overboard with the hors d' oeuvres.... make them just as mysterious as your evening. The key to them is not to fret on getting them all out at the same time; keep them as little surprises throughout the course of the evening... and if you can incorporate them into the mystery itself, all the better. At the end of this post, I will include a thought or two on what you could offer for a little snack.
Key Elements for your Murder Mystery:
1. Schedule your event where you could have at least ten people join in on the festivities.
2. Plan your event so that you are solely the host (you will need to keep up with questions, food prep and so on)
3. Choose your theme... many Murder Mystery Companies allow you to choose a theme.... have fun with this! Once your company has sent you your mystery kit, choose which of your guests will play what character.
4. Send out invites along with the character description... This gets your guests all pumped up for the event; decide before you send them out if your guests should come in costume, (wearing costumes are so much fun).
Night of Party....
1. Set the mood of your party with props; perhaps some police tape, or a fake dead body... fake weapons scattered throughout the house, sheets on your furniture to resemble an old home and so on... be creative according to your theme.
2. Dim the lighting to reflect some shady is going on.
3. Play an old time Mystery Radio Show... this really sets the mood
4. Have someone in the background who is not part of the party shoot a toy gun and make a loud scream.... this gets them every time.
Things to Snack on....
1. Artisan Cheese, Crusty French Bread and Fresh Fruit
2. Fresh Figs wrapped in Prosciutto and drizzled with honey
3. Parmesan Crostini topped with Smoked Chicken and Boursin Cheese
4. Spiked Punch or Mulled Wine
And of course, enjoy your evening! You will have so much fun with this... The party goes on throughout the evening.
And of course, don't forget that the Harvest Moon can do this for you anytime. If you are not interested in hosting this yourself, we can do it for you. Just give us a shout.