Monday, October 24, 2011
Tips and Secrets to Host Your very own Murder Mystery
Each year here at the Harvest Moon Bed & Breakfast as the Holidays come around we begin to plan for our New Years Eve Murder Mystery . A Lancaster County Favorite. Lots of elements are involved as we begin our evening of mystery and intrigue. To begin with, it helps to have an old home with lots of history. From there, it is all easy to put together the rest...
And always, always go overboard with the hors d' oeuvres.... make them just as mysterious as your evening. The key to them is not to fret on getting them all out at the same time; keep them as little surprises throughout the course of the evening... and if you can incorporate them into the mystery itself, all the better. At the end of this post, I will include a thought or two on what you could offer for a little snack.
Key Elements for your Murder Mystery:
1. Schedule your event where you could have at least ten people join in on the festivities.
2. Plan your event so that you are solely the host (you will need to keep up with questions, food prep and so on)
3. Choose your theme... many Murder Mystery Companies allow you to choose a theme.... have fun with this! Once your company has sent you your mystery kit, choose which of your guests will play what character.
4. Send out invites along with the character description... This gets your guests all pumped up for the event; decide before you send them out if your guests should come in costume, (wearing costumes are so much fun).
Night of Party....
1. Set the mood of your party with props; perhaps some police tape, or a fake dead body... fake weapons scattered throughout the house, sheets on your furniture to resemble an old home and so on... be creative according to your theme.
2. Dim the lighting to reflect some shady is going on.
3. Play an old time Mystery Radio Show... this really sets the mood
4. Have someone in the background who is not part of the party shoot a toy gun and make a loud scream.... this gets them every time.
Things to Snack on....
1. Artisan Cheese, Crusty French Bread and Fresh Fruit
2. Fresh Figs wrapped in Prosciutto and drizzled with honey
3. Parmesan Crostini topped with Smoked Chicken and Boursin Cheese
4. Spiked Punch or Mulled Wine
And of course, enjoy your evening! You will have so much fun with this... The party goes on throughout the evening.
And of course, don't forget that the Harvest Moon can do this for you anytime. If you are not interested in hosting this yourself, we can do it for you. Just give us a shout.
Friday, October 21, 2011
L E T T H E H O L I D A Y S B E G I N
It's that time of year everyone.... you know, the "Mostest" most "Bestest" Time of the Year when you can hardly wait for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years to come along. Well, the older I get, the more I see that I can wait... I don't want it to go by so fast. The month of December, I try to make every day special. With family events planned, shows to go to and shopping to attend to, the month is consistently a busy one. Sometimes I just want to stop and take it all in. I promise I will do that this year. ( A glass of wine should help in that vain )
Well, enough of me blabbering away, I thought it would be great to put together a "What's What" list of Lancaster County and the Holidays... A great way to discover Christmas in PA.
November 25 -- Black Friday in Lancaster... Shopping begins at Midnight at the outlets in Lancaster... so fill up on Turkey and Go Shopping... Don't forget to grab your discount for a savings book.
November 26 -- Mayors Tree Lighting in Downtown Lancaster
|Christmas in PA|
December 2 -- 4 - Holiday Baking Demo at the Harvest Moon Bed and Breakfast
December 3 - Christmas on Main in Downtown New Holland
December 4 - Marietta Candlelight Tour of Homes on the banks of the Susquehanna
December 10 - Maytown Christmas Celebration... An awesome tiny town that brings you back a bit
December 10 - An Old Fashioned Christmas at Kitchen Kettle Village
|Ho Ho Ho|
December 26 -- 29 - Yuletide Tours at Historic Rock Ford Plantation
December 31 - New Years Eve Murder Mystery Evening at the Harvest Moon Bed & Breakfast
All throughout the month don't forget about the American Music Theater and Sight and Sound; both have wonderful Holiday Events.